Friday, September 2, 2011

What I'm Listening To (9/2/2011)

Andrew Jackson Jihad - People Who Can Eat People Are The Luckiest People In The World (2007)

Whenever I'm having a bad day, I put this album on, listen all the way through, and then I am no longer having a bad day.  Happy, delirious, and depressed folk/punk that I think everyone should hear at least once.

Favorite Tracks:
Personal Space Invader  (Side note - this live version, though not the highest quality... makes me oh so happy.  Everyone in the building singing along, and you can hear it.)


Little Dragon - Machine Dreams (2009)

Yukimi Nagano has one of the smoothest voices there is, and Little Dragon provides the instrumental backing to create an even smoother album.  Always chill and at times danceable, Machine Dreams is one of those albums that is great both as background and foreground music.  

Favorite Tracks:
Flying Lotus - Cosmogramma (2010)

A lot of people can say, and have said, a lot more about Fly-lo than I can.  He has many electronic "classics" before this, and he has a few on this as well.  If you haven't already, check it out.

Favorite Tracks:

SBTRKT - SBTRKT (2011)

To answer your question, it's pronounced Subtract... I think.  Like the Little Dragon album, SBTRKT's debut is smooth.  Fittingly, Yukimi Nagano guests on what is probably the best track of the record, not to detract from the rest of the fantastic vocals on the album.  Easily one of my favorite releases this year.

Favorite Tracks:
Wildfire
Never Never (interestingly, Machine Dreams *also* has a song titled Never Never)
Jay-Z & Kanye West - Watch the Throne (2011)

Is anyone not listening to this?  Are you still mad about the whole Taylor Swift thing?  Maybe you are in Club Breezy and are bitter about Jay-Z refusing to applaud Chris Brown's performance at the VMA's... This album is good. Which shouldn't be a surprise, but it is easy for giants to collaborate and come out with something mediocre. And again, this album is good.  There are some definite lows - Who Gon Stop Me is excruciatingly weak, and it's near direct use of Flux Pavillion's I Can't Stop is not justified with the duo's performance.  Kanye West still can't stop talking about that South Park episode.  We get it Yeezy, you're a gay fish. The Beyonce track (that I've heard is apparently the most popular single) is the most cliche song of the album. Those are my main critiques... Most of the album... it is good.

Favorite Tracks:

1 comment:

  1. My sentiments exactly. It's no My Dark Beautiful Fantasy or Blueprint, but definitely a solid album. Carter IV on the other hand...

    ReplyDelete