Friday, September 9, 2011

What I'm Listening To (9/9/11)

St. Vincent - Strange Mercy (2011)
I think this may be St. Vincent's strongest album yet.  You can't actually get it yet, it's not released until 9/13, but if you are clever with the ways you acquire music you should be able to find it.  Her voice is rivaled in strength only by her impeccable guitar playing.  Fuzzy guitar compliments her vocals so well - or maybe it is the other way around. 

Favorite Tracks:
Dilettante
 
Strange Mercy (You've got to pretty much listen to this song all the way through... it gets so good at about 2:45 - I turn it all the way up every time.)
Cake -Fashion Nugget (1996)
What a classic album.  I love cake like a fat kid loves... Whelp...

Favorite Tracks:
Frank Sinatra

Or you know... the whole album.
Said The Whale - Howe Sounds (2008)
I recently joked on my facebook when linking Live off Lamb, "hey we sound like the shins."  Because on that track, they fucking do.  It's clear that that is what they are emulating - but I forgive them, because it sounds good, and I could always go for more of The Shins.  They don't always sound like The Shins, sometimes they emulate other bands.  And occasionally they even do their own thing.  Either way, decent album.  And very happy.

Favorite Tracks:
Cloud Cult - The Meaning of 8 (2007)
The lead singer of Cloud Cult losing his child in 2002 was a tragic event, but it spawned over half a decade of creative and enthralling music in the kids memory.  This is probably my favorite Cloud Cult album, with lush and mesmorizing instruments backing Craig Minowa's insightful and at times mournful musings. 

Favorite Tracks:
The Babies - The Babies (2011)

Garage Rock, fuck yeah.  After all the hype over Best Coast last year, I was surprised to not see this album get more attention this year. Maybe people are already sick of the style... whatever - this album is a sleeper.  The Babies are a supergroup taking from Vivian Girls, Woods, Bent Outta Shape, and Ringers  It's great. So much energy. Check it out.
Favorite Tracks:

1 comment:

  1. awwwh yeah boiiii i posted about cake too. AND my favorite song is frank sinatra yo!

    ReplyDelete