Tuesday, September 13, 2011

You Should Never Trust a Kid That Acts Like Me

      I have a love-hate relationship with the notion of genres.  Sometimes they are useful for grouping together music when I try to describe my taste.  It often feels plain and obvious that this band is chillwave, or that band is surf-rock.  But then you have bands or songs that refuse to fall neatly under one genre. How am I supposed to describe Radiohead to someone?  Allmusic.com, as lovely as they are at classifying music, describe them as pop/rock.  lol.
Wise Blood - These Wings (2011)
  
Then you have acts like Wise Blood.  What the hell am I supposed to classify this as?  It strikes me as a more decipherable How to Dress Well, an already elusive act, but even with HtDW this only shares some elements.  Manipulated and destroyed samples, combined only with Wise Blood’s interesting R&Besque vocals... But it sounds like there is more there. It’s weird.  But catchy. 
 
Standout Track(s) -

I'm Losing My Mind Loud Mouths
Check out I'm Losing My Mind (the "feeling" sample, or whatever is said, at 0:47 comes in for the first time... is so cash) and Loud Mouths from the album above.
 
Interesting Note(s) - 

 I put this in a playlist with Grimes, How To Dress Well, and Sea Oleena.  The playlist is titled “Elliot, nobody else likes to listen to this music”, but my iTunes shortens it to “Elliot, nobody...”, and it makes me feel like It’s a sort of existential introduction.  Nobody, this is Elliot.  Elliot, nobody.

Spotify Link
Amazon Link

No comments:

Post a Comment