Friday, September 16, 2011

What I'm Listening To (9/16/11)

The Drums - Portamento (2011)

I didn't like The Drums at first - mostly because I saw this video of them performing live and looking obnoxiously apathetic.  The lead singer seemed like a overdone caricature of Kurt Cobain, and it made it difficult for me to give the band a chance.  Now, I just kind of hope that isn't the way they always are - because this new album is solid.  Jonathan Pierce's voice sounds straight out of the 80s, and it compliments the indie surf-sounding guitars oh so well.  Really makes me want to be back in California, driving to the beach, and enjoying the sun and sin that comes along.  Sidenote, why does this album cover look so Witch Housey?  It does not fit the album...

Favorite Tracks:
Money
Hard To Love 

Sin Fang Bous -Clangour (2009)
Ahh, I've listened to this a lot.  Not really anything that sounds terribly like Sin Fang, besides his other band Seabear.  Beautiful stuff.  An incredibly solid 8 songs, and one of my favorite albums.

Favorite Tracks:
Clangour and Flutes

Brand New - The Devil And God Are Raging Inside Me (2006)
Yeah I still listen to Brand New.  Fuck you.

Favorite Tracks:
Das Racist - Sit Down, Man (2010)
Such a solid mixtape - Das Racist really has some dope beats, and awesome rapping skills, even if they often don't take themselves seriously.  Their album dropped recently, I think it sucks.  Does anyone actually like the song Michael Jackson?  It seems like it is their single from it, and I am not feeling it.

Favorite Tracks:
Spotify Link
Generationals - Actor-Caster (2011)

A lot of people think that this album is just more of their first album - but it really is not.  It is miles above.  It shares the same style - you can tell it is the Generationals for sure, but they've nearly perfected their formula with this album.  Even the songs that seem poppy and cheesy on this one grow on you on further listens, and have subtle emotional and sonic nuances that make this one of my favorite albums this year.
Favorite Tracks:

No comments:

Post a Comment