Thursday, September 15, 2011

Snatchin' hip-hop from the light & bringing it back into dark

Planet Asia - EP (1998)


Usually when I write about music, I tend to write things and thoughts down while I'm listening to the album.  Though I had many thoughts formulate in my head while listening to the Planet Asia EP, I had to stop myself.  I didn't want to miss a single verse.  Plus,  I had a minor fear that I would lose the beat that PA got me bouncing my head too.  These beats are so simple and smooth, and Planet Asia has a great flow with incredible lyricism to go on top of it.  Seriously, some of these beats just seem way ahead of their time in terms of style.  Don't get me wrong, this stuff has a classic sound to it - just not in the way that you feel like your listening to a throwback rap mix - no, this sounds like something that was made today but with old-school emceeing and simple beats only to make you feel like this stuff is old.  But oh no, it actually is old. Released 1998.

Some beats are stronger than others, but they all share a similar dark-toned style.  Luckily, the EP is only 8 songs long, just short enough to prevent you from getting sick of it.  And when the beats aren't as strong, Asia makes up for it with even stronger raps.  So... yeah.  Check this out; or just ride with me, because I feel it will be in my rotation for awhile.


Standout Track(s) -
On The Corner Part 2
Quite a smoker's anthem.  Love it - gimme Asia over Wiz any day. (Note - I normally embed the youtube players, but they were defaulting to lower quality, and I think these benefit a bit from you playing it in the higher qualities, even though they are only like 480.)

Kalidascope
Probably my favorite beat on the whole thing.  It's just so smooth, and the whole thing has a classic feel.

Interesting Note(s) -
Found Planet Asia after he guested on MED's new Classic album.  I'm not emphasizing the word, that is the name of the album.  It's an alright album - but it mostly just has some very solid guest spots.

Check it

No comments:

Post a Comment