Monday, September 26, 2011

Call It Valedictorian

Domo Genesis - Under The Influence (2011)
Where Tyler stagnated on Goblin and displayed little personal innovation to his style that is already becoming cliche, Domo improves markedly on his second release in every single facet: flow, lyrics, beats, production... even the album cover is better.  This is miles ahead of Rolling Papers.  Domo has matured and it shows - smooth classy beats, clever quick-witted verses... as far as style goes, Domo Genesis kills it.  He finds a way to maintain Odd Future's humorous trademark while having a tone that is less gimmicky and more mature.  Until Earl comes back, Domo, to me, is the most exciting Wolf Gang member.  Seriously, if you haven't given the "lesser known" members of OFWGKTA a look, check this out.
Standout Track(s) - 
Guess Who's Back

The original mixtape that I downloaded didn't list the features on each track --  when I realized that it was Cassie Veggies on this track, I was shocked.  I'd listened to a few of his songs, stopping them way before they were over, and didn't like him at all... but I love this guest spot - he starts off fresh from his first verse, and he keeps his charisma at a peak in spite of (or maybe supported by) his ridiculous voice.  Going to check more of his stuff out now...

More Clouds

I'm a little thrown off by his fabricated descriptions of how good his weed is... Really Domo?  Seeing colors in tie-dye?  I guess that really is some goku shit.  Whatever - lovely song.  I still dig it.

Interesting Info -
Odd Future is headlining Sunday of Fun Fun Fun Fest here in Austin.  I recommend you be there.

No comments:

Post a Comment