Tuesday, August 30, 2011

There's Nothing Better than Drugs and Love

Coma Cinema put together in Blue Suicide an album that originally caught my attention with only a few songs.  Not that I thought that the majority of the fifteen songs were bad - I never felt my customary urge to skip past a track. The songs are short, most clocking in under 3 minutes, and it almost feels like Coma Cinema’s front-man Mat Cothran was trying to stop me from ever feeling the need to hit the next song button.  I'm glad he did, because the appeal of my initial favorites were enough to inspire me back to the album a week later.  The album grew on me.  Now, after countless spins, I am in love with it.
Coma Cinema - Blue Suicide (2011)

Mat doesn’t overstate much.  His emotions are often presented ambiguously, and many times he seems to mutter the lyrics in a way that make me almost wonder if he recorded the song in one take. Instead, he relies on the catchy but not poppy melodies that are just strong enough to grab your attention and make you anticipate their arrival again when you come back to re-listen.  

Standout Track(s) -


Whatevering
The contrast of Mat’s confident voice combined with the mobilizing drums and clapping in the song allow Whatevering to pick me up from whereever previous tracks put me down.  


Tour All Winter
Mat's repetition of “Leave my Head” in the middle of the song croons hauntingly in my mind.

Interesting Note(s) - 

This was Coma Cinema’s third album to come out in a 2 album period, though the band has apparently been around since 2005.  A fourth album came out this year, shortly after the third, but it doesn’t nearly fit in with the previous other three.  In fact, if the short cut style of this album leaves you wanting more, you should definitely check out his first two albums.  And if that leaves you wanting more -- you are probably out of luck.  Mat announced that the band will be bowing out by the end of this year, and their last album likely won’t “see the light of day.”


1 comment:

  1. Elliot! The blog looks really good man. I like the setup, and at first i had to reality check that it was even yours! The logo looks super professional.

    ReplyDelete