Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Don't Take It From Anyone Else

The Soft Pack - The Soft Pack (2010)
The thing that I like about garage rock bands like The Soft Pack is that they have spunk and energy analogous to punk rock, while adding their own brand of youthful vigor.  There is a friendliness to their intensity.  The kind that invites you to join a long and rock out, as opposed to joining along and simply rebelling for the purpose of rebelling.  As with all music, you can't put yourself above it-- you can't listen to it with an initial sense of superiority.  That will ruin any music who's purpose is to convince you to share their vibes.  You have to be willing to try it.

Standout Track(s):
C'mon

I'm going to pretend that this song is about what I talked about above - I'm not convinced that it is... I'm just going to pretend.

Answer to Yourself 

Interesting Fact(s):
Found The Soft Pack when Death Cab For Cutie gave a shout-out to them from their facebook face.  It was a welcome introduction -- the last real good garage rock I heard was The Babies.  Ofcourse, when I use the term "garage rock", I'm talking about the modern likes of Best Coast, Wavves, etc.  Not the perfect term - but rarely is it.

No comments:

Post a Comment