Thursday, November 3, 2011

Bringin' it Back

Q-Tip - The Renaissance (2008)
So, I've been listening to a lot of old-school rap lately.  90's stuff mostly - Tribe, Wu-Tang, Outkast, Digable Planets, UGK, etc.  Going back to the era - I really am amazed by the depth of solid material that still sounds good today.  Most genre's can't offer such a collection of music that doesn't just sound 'old' or simply overplayed.

I also am envious of the days when so many good hip-hop albums were coming out.  Now a days, almost all of the best stuff comes out on mixtapes.  Most (non-free) albums I've heard over the past few years are significantly worse than the artist's mixtapes.  I don't know what changed between now and then - but I'm sure it has to do with the commercialization of rap.  A shame, whatever the reason.

Q-tip, of A Tribe Called Quest, however, came out with an album a few years ago that is more than solid.  It's interesting hearing him grown up - and moving away from jazz influences to ones more R&B-centric (and bringing in a lot of guests to this tune).

Standout Track(s):
Life is Better (Ft. Norah Jones)

I've always been a huge fan of songs that go into name-dropping tangents, rapping off lists of artists and people that influenced, inspired, or simply entertained them.  LCD Soundsystem, Daft Punk, and others have made some of their best songs with the 'gimmick'.  It's refreshing to hear rappers like Q-Tip actually respecting and appreciating other rappers, as opposed to only reppin' Cash Money or the East Coast.  Not surprising for one of the few major artists who was rapping about moving on from the east-west coast rivalries from the 90's, instead of taking sides.

Dance on Glass

God - when that beat comes in... yuh.

Interesting fact(s):
Speaking of the east-west coast rivalry, did you know about the time Tupac fucked with Q-tip at the source awards?  Check it.  Pretty fucking lame to do to one of the more mutually respected figures of the time...  Tupac does sound pretty damn good on this clip though.

1 comment:

  1. I think what you have to say about rap not being true rap anymore. It's true, things have changed so much since the 90s! Although I can't say I don't listen to a lot of mainstream rap it just isn't the same. I didn't get a chance to hear the whole song but from what I heard it sounds like something I'd like! and BTW, really like the whole interesting fact you included on here!

    ReplyDelete