Tuesday, October 11, 2011

We Used To Live Like Rebels

Voxtrot - Mothers, Sisters, Daughters & Wives (2006)
I know Voxtrot firstly from making one of the best 'love epics' I have ever known, but I recently went to look back at more of their stuff when I realized that they are from Austin.  Their other stuff seems to drop the lofi vocal effects that I knew from The Start of Something, and as a result seems less gimicky.  I don't think they could make anything as big as The Start of Something -- I'm almost glad that the rest is a slightly different style, because it allows you to listen to it without feeling that it is just too one-dimensional.

Another result of their change in style is that the lyrics don't jump out as much.  Most of the instruments are just a tad louder, and it's easy to get distracted by the sound of it all, never hearing the lyrics.  But if you are going to listen - I urge you not to fall trap to this.  The lyrics are the best part.  Ramesh Srivastava's songwriting is just impeccable, and I find so many of the lyrics are incredible.  If there's one thing that doesn't differ between The Start of Something and the rest of Voxtrot's catalog, it is the excellent story-telling and beautiful lyrics.

I kind of like bands like this.  I'm not always in the mood or mindset to get into them - a lot of times I just want new music that is easier.  But once I attach the meaning to their songs just once, I find I can go back to them and feel that meaning every time. 

Standout Track(s):
Mothers, Sisters, Daughters & Wives

Title track... not a lot to say.  Likely the best here.

Soft & Warm


"Baby, I'd leave you for the person you used to be."   Love it.

Interesting Fact(s):
Voxtrot released 3 EPs (and one early... mixtape?  Maybe an EP.  I don't know, there isn't a ton of information on L'adieu à l'été!)  over the years before finally releasing a full-length album in 2007.  I haven't actually listened to it yet, it wasn't recieved well critically and well... They haven't made anything since.  But that's not what I want to talk about - the real interesting thing to me is how short all of the EP's were.  Each has between three and five songs on it, most of them excellent.  I always wonder what bands are doing when they are only sparsely releasing small collections of songs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment