Thursday, November 17, 2011

If you don't feel it you can feel free

So, I was about to write about Mobb Deep, but despite that they are so much more real than any modern rappers that pretend to be hard (Officer Ricky?), I was really holding out for writing about something a little less known.  Luckily, some of my friends were playing some fresh stuff at a party this weekend, and now I have something new I am feeling.
Open Mike Eagle - Rappers Will Die of Natural Causes (2011)
Open Mike Eagle reminds me a lot of Del (of Deltron 3030, Gorillaz, and Del the Funky Homosapien fame) in his brand of intelligent hip-hop.  Some rappers, like Aesop Rock or Immortal Technique, like to show intelligence through conscientious rap - talking about important issues or telling meaningful stories filled with intricate rhymes.  Del and Mike do it without sacrificing their flow, and instead just have abstract rhymes filled with subtle word-play.  In turn, they maintain a spacey sound that is really easy to chill and, at times, party to. 

Standout Track(s):
The Processional (Funeral March)
This is the first track I heard, and definitely the coolest -- a perfect portrayal of how OME does a "party" song.  It isn't some fast upbeat song, yet it is still anthemic. Couldn't find a non-live version, so check this.

Why Pianos Break (ft. P.O.S.)
Ahhh - that beat.  Love that beat. And that flow.  Love that flow.

Also, check this out:
I'm going to start linking completely unrelated tracks at the end of articles that aren't really attached to albums, but remain solidly in my rotation.  Check out Lady Lamb cover Cher.  I know, it sounds lame.  It's awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment